Basic Hazmat Life Support (BHLS) -Online Course
BHLS is 3-hour continuing education course. The course is online, consisting of 11 modules, a pre-test, formative questions throughout the course, and a post-test. The course can be completed in separate sessions, at the student’s convenience.
After the course, participants will be able to:
- Demonstrate knowledge of important physical, chemical, and other properties of hazardous materials.
- Recognize that the physical state of a hazardous material, i.e., whether it is a solid, liquid, or gas, determines if the material is secondarily contaminating and is one of the major determinants of the route of exposure.
- Use toxicological principles and concepts to organize the medical management of hazmat patients.
- Compare and contrast toxicokinetics with toxicodynamics.
- Recognize various toxic syndromes (toxidromes) due to hazardous materials.
- Formulate an organized approach for treating victims of hazmat incidents, including the AMPLE mnemonic, the primary survey and resuscitation (Airway, Breathing, Cardiovascular, Disability, Exposure), and the Poisoning Treatment Paradigm™ (Alter absorption, Administer antidote, Basics, Change catabolism, Distribute differently, Enhance elimination).
- Demonstrate knowledge regarding personal protective equipment (PPE) for hazardous materials incidents.
- Recognize that each antidote has its own indications, contraindications, complications, dosage and route.
Continuing Education Credit
CECBEMS represents only that its accredited programs have met CECBEMS’ standards for accreditation. These standards require sound educational offerings determined by a review of its objectives, teaching plan, faculty, and program evaluation processes. CECBEMS does not endorse or support the actual teachings, opinions or material content as presented by the speaker(s) and/or sponsoring organization. CECBEMS accreditation does not represent that the content conforms to any national, state or local standard or best practice of any nature. No student shall have any cause of action against CECBEMS based on the accreditation of the material.
CECBEMS#: 16-CECB- F3-5900
CEH Type: 3 Basic