Latest WISER phone app update available
- New hospital provider and preparedness planner profiles, along with a customized home screen for all WISER profiles
- Acute care guidelines for 6 known mass casualty agents/agent classes
- the addition of a wealth of CHEMM reference material
- The new CHEMM Intelligent Syndrome Tool (CHEMM-IST), a help identify tool designed to diagnose the type of chemical exposure after a mass casualty incident
New, Customized User Profiles
WISER now includes new hospital provider and preparedness profiles. All profiles now include a customized WISER home page, bringing relevant content to your fingertips.
3rd edition AHLS Instructor Manual now available
Purchase for $45 US
The Instructor exam has been refined and is now 25 questions instead of 35 and has 4 foils instead of 5.
At this time, Instructors do not need to take a new Instructor exam to be re-verified as Instructors, but this may change in the future.
Updates to AHLS Instructor Manual
3rd Edition, May 2010
- Updated policy regarding Medical Director and Board-Certified Toxicologist
The Board-certified toxicologist and/or Medical Director must be present for the entire two days of the Provider Course. This includes teaching at least one lecture and tabletop exercise. (p. 16-18)
- David A. Kolb – Kolb Learning Cycle – This new section has Instructor participants complete a Learning Style Inventory questionnaire to discover what style of learner they are. Based on this information and finding out about other learning styles, they will better informed Instructors and able to teach all types of learners.
- Description of the adult learning cycle (p. 65)
- Four phase of learning cycle described (p. 65)
- Four learning styles (p. 66)
- Kolb Learning Style Inventory (p. 72)
- Application online
- Details about how to complete an online application (Appendix C, p. 92-97)
- Information about finding faculty (p. 38)
- Faculty Fees (p. 39)
- Funding sources in the USA (p. 39)
- Courses listed together rather than separated by chapter
- Provider, Instructor, AHLS for Chemical Burns, AHLS for Toxic Terrorism
- Inclusion of Chemical Burns and Toxic Terrorism course information
- No exam (p. 27)
- No verification (p. 24)
- Any AHLS Instructor can teach these courses; counts toward the 4 in 4 years (p. 18)
- Do not need to have MD/Tox for course – Does not appear on a specific page, but descriptions for Medical Director and Toxicologist now specify they are only needed for Provider course.
- Marketing Information
- E-mail ads are created and sent out to get people to the course (p. 48)
- Basic Hazmat Life Support (BHLS)
- Can take BHLS online for CE credit (p. 23)
- Re-verify online (p. 8, 29)
- Disclosure Statement and Form for submission (p. 45) – Specifies that the Form must be signed an returned to Course Director prior to teaching so it can be stated on the course program if there is any conflict.
Rail lines in Tucson could be terror bait
Thousands of cars a year haul toxic, explosive loads
By Enric Volante
ARIZONA DAILY STAR
(Printed April 1, 2007)
More than 1,600 rail tanker loads of poisonous gas vulnerable to terrorist attack roll through Tucson in a year, potentially threatening most of the city.
A chlorine disaster could kill people up to 5.6 miles downwind of Union Pacific Railroad in Tucson.
Frank Walter, a hazmat specialist in the University of Arizona emergency-medicine division, warns that the threat of toxic terrorism in this country remains at an all-time high. He calls that a significant concern and says cities must be prepared to respond.
"Obviously, we are on a major rail artery," he said. "So in terms of the possibility, it's always present."
- Advanced Hazmat Life Support (AHLS): Development and Demographics from 1999 through 2003
The Internet Journal of Resuce and Disaster Medicine. 2005; Vol. 5, Num. 1
By Frank G. Walter, Harvey Meislin, Benson Munger & Danielle Crounse
Advanced HAZMAT Life Support. A new course on hazardous materials and chemical weapons in the USA (Ein neuer Kurs über Gefahrgut und chemische Kampfstoffe in den USA.)
Notfall & Rettungsmedizin. 2002; Vol. 2, 218-221
By T. Bey.
The copyright and rights for public distribution (in books, photocopying and other means of distribution in teaching manuals) are with the Springer Verlag Heidelberg/Germany. For requests and permissions please contact Springer Verlag Heidelberg:
Springer-Verlag . Rights and Permissions
TEL: 01149 - 6221- 487-8378
Attn: Alice Essenpreis for the U.S. and Canada.